Saturday, August 21, 2010

hidden amongst the rocks ...

A few photos I took of my dear friend Cleo and her creations in our 'backyard'. It was exciting to be a part of this knitted creation, formed with love and excitement with the aid of many able knitters from our community. Just one of five dresses Cleo created. She is a genius. For more pictures and information click on the link to be transported to her blog Wind Between The Stars.

On the day, all the elements lined up beautifully. No posy shots here, just one of my friends standing on a rock wearing a work of art which is now exhibiting in France.

For textile lovers ... this is why we do what we do isn't it? The tactile quality of textiles, the resonance of handiwork our foremothers did and the joy of creating something from raw materials with our own hands.

Stitching is soothing. It calms and quiets a busy mind. Whether it is knitting or sewing or whatever your passion, there's no denying its therapeautic quality. I've heard there are even prayer quilts, where the stitches are made with small prayers. Imagine receiving a quilt made like that!
This is why we do what we do. x
Meanwhile in another part of the world, dear India has launched a fantastic project for folk who feel compelled to stitch cloth (there's a few of us I know already) ... please check it out and follow the link to her new website called Found, Stitched and Dyed. I am so excited by this project. I have a cloth I have been sporadically stitching, it is made up of old cloth from Asia Gallery, random bits of kimono, silk, cotton ... playing with it really.

Sitting under a tree at the beach stitching while on holiday in Auckland last summer.

details of work in progress

I am fortunate to have spent time learning and sharing with India over the past several years. She has influenced the work of many contemporary textile artists in New Zealand and indeed around the world. I will be keen to help people get started on a project if they require a bit of assistance to reciprocate the learning she generously gives.

very slow cloth
silk, cotton, repurposed kimono, silk thread, stitched and pieced
Rachelle Toimata 2010

India also runs workshops frequently throughout the world that I encourage you to participate in if you are able. She has some parcels of cloth and thread available for purchase to help you get started with your stitch project as well should you require a bit of inspiration. You are also encouraged to use what you have. And if there is enough interest from my local community, I am happy to organise some stitching parties to help move us all along here in Aotearoa.

"Kiri" ("skin") dress I made for exhibition last year using cloth coloured
with India's eco-coloured methods.

View of "Kiri" from behind, next to one of Cleo's dresses.

India also has two books published with a third on the way. "Eco-Colour" has been my main reference in all dyed work I've done in the past several years. I can't wait for her new book which I think is to be called Second Skin. Watch this Space.

India Flint

Follow the links to India's website "India Flint" and her blog "Not All Who Wander Are Lost" are just a hop, skip and jump away. If you don't know her yet, you want to!

Mark making on cloth, India Flint 2009.

4 comments:

Arija said...

What a wealth of wonders you have in this post! Do you know that a certain Ms Lipson has trademarked the term 'slow cloth'? I am so glad you came up with very slow cloth.

If only I could swim over the ditch, I would give you the biggest hug!

Ahipara Girl said...

Thanks Whaia. I appreciate ur feedback. Isn't that a funny thing to trademark?! I guess everyone is trying to make a living. I want that hug! Feeling the love from here. x

(PS. 'Whaia' means Mother in Maori, pronounced like you would say Fire.)

Dom said...

I love this post !
il m'inspire beaucoup !
Merci

iNdi@ said...

thanks dear heart
for this
and for being a joyful sister
in my stitching and dyeing whanau
in Aotearoa