Tuesday, October 18, 2011

colour

Inspired by Jane Brocket's book 'The Gentle Art of Knitting'; love for my nana's colourful crochet skills and of course all things vintage, I've been hooking like my life depended on it. Its a real joy to be working with big pops of colour, vintage inspired and totally makes me recall my grandmothers love for colour.
My growing little collection of vintage dresses and coats gave me a good excuse to create some popping coat hangers to match.

Crochet or knitting is pretty time consuming, taking me the better part of a day and a half to knit just one. I either have to get my wardrobe down to eight items or I had to find a new way to do this. So I grabbed a few felted jerseys, chopped and roughly stitched them on. I'm happy with them and now it only takes about an hour to an hour and a half including a big frilly flower. Still labour intensive but more of a quick project with instant satisfaction.

The ones to the rear are Jane Brockett's frilly bloomer knitting pattern. I highly recommend her book for new knitters who can knit, pearl, cast on and off, and increase, decrease. Don't forget that if you're new to knitting, You Tube has lots of great how-to knitting videos.

I love the stripey ones. Once I had made a few, I changed the stitches around and created a few of my own styles. Its nice to put ones own flavour into things. Thanks Jane Brockett for the inspiration and beauty that is your book (which I endeavour to feature in my next post).

No comments: