Saturday, January 26, 2008

New Beginnings

A quiet day, perfect for my first post on my very own blog. After months of viewing other wonderful blogs, I have finally found both the time, momentum and courage to create my own space. Apologies as I have yet to discover how to download my photos, which remain too large. Any suggestions as to how I might overcome this would be much appreciated.

So ... after a busy week at a eco-dyeing workshop with Australian textile artist India Flint, I welcomed a quiet day at home with my boys. Why is housework never pleasant? I am constantly at war within myself - to order, sort and clean vs runaway and do something fun instead. I think my creative side wins but alas, the house requires a genie to appear and whip it into shap. I am lucky to live with a man who loves me and can handle my randomness. Nonetheless, the kids still fish for their socks from the 'to be folded' mountain of laundry each day. How does Martha Stewart do it???

Funny, theMan entered the house yesterday with his nose in the air detecting cooking in the air. Unfortunately it was a pot of onion skins and another pot of eucalyptus being prepared for dyeing. Then tonight I asked him to finish the dishes so I could use the sink to wash out my paint brushes. The only time I am happy in the kitchen is NOT when I am cooking or cleaning. Yes, I am constantly experimenting with my art these days. I can't wait to figure out how to upload photos so I can show you my work.

It all sounds merry but honestly, I have a few major decisions to make and I find myself dragging my feet. My spirits fluctuate - four seasons in one day. One moment I am excited with all the opportunities before me, the next I am fearful and scared - mostly aware of my hopes and dreams, coupled with the very real limitations that surround me. Sometimes are me.

I pray for the courage to be honest. To be real. To be helpful and gracious.

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without words and never stops at all. - emily dickenson

No comments: